Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Holy smokes!

Sunday was "one of those days." You know the kind. Where everything goes wrong and if you don't keep a sense of humor about it, you'll want to crawl back into bed and curl up into the fetal position. Nah, I'd rather be vertical and laugh.

After hubs and I took the girls outside on Sunday morning, I walked into the kitchen to find the downdraft fan to our cooktop was on. Of course my first thought was, Why the heck did he turn that on?! I pretty much assume it's always my husband's fault for most everything. ((giggle))

So I asked him why he turned it on. Well, he didn't. Hmmm... Maybe I did?? No. I know I'm crazy but I'm sure I didn't turn it on. When I start wearing my bra and wears on the outside of my clothing, then it could be a possibility.

I walk over to shut it off. Click. Nothing. Click. Click. Still nothing. The dang thing would not turn off. After clicking back and forth, I smelled wires burning. Uh-oh. That can't be good.

So my sweet hubs grabs a screwdriver. He's going to take it apart and have a looksy. "Don't you think you should turn off the electricity to the cooktop?" I asked.
He gives me the "don't be ridiculous" look.

One screw comes out. The other screw comes out. He attempts to lift the panel. Then...


"NOW do you think it's a good idea to turn the breaker off, Mr. Tesla?!"
He agreed and proceeded down to the basement to turn it off.

Unfortunately the fan switch was fried, but thankfully the burners worked as usual and my hubs lived to tell the tale.

I hopped online to try and locate another switch for my dated cooktop but could find nothing. After looking all over the internet I came across a forum of others looking for the same fan switch for their dated Jenn-air.
Come to find out there were many others who experienced the phantom fan that turned on by itself then fried the switch! Jeepers! I'm just thankful we were home when it happened.

So the moral of my story is:
Keep a man with a screwdriver away from anything electrical.

:> )


Susan said...

What is it with husbands that they think they are shock proof? Mine has done the same thing. Glad he didn't end up twirling from the ceiling fan. Also glad you survived to post about it! xoxo

Pendleton Primitives said...

Oh no! I've been zapped and it's no fun, glad he turned the electricity off.

Cindi said...

Well I guess you will just have to get a brand spanking new cooktop then right? LOL Glad everyone is ok.
Be blessed,

Tina said...

Well, I'm glad your Hubby is ok. I freak out every time mine has even a thought of doing an electrical project. T

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...