Tuesday, July 2, 2013

It's been gnawing at me for just about two years now...

That's how long it's been since I did my kitchen redo. I'm the first one to admit, I busted my rump "transforming" my cabinets and counter top. It was hard work, but totally worth it.

My inspiration for color came from the Painter Sisters blog. I loved their painted buttery cream color cabinets!

 photo 7ccff255-ac2a-4a36-947e-ddad4fd99cc1_zpsba72a903.jpg

I think I came pretty darn close to getting the cabinet color.

 photo kitchenredo4_zps5d9250af.jpg

But after painting the walls, backspash and ceiling, something was off to me. I thought I had picked out the right wall and ceiling colors.
You know how it is... What looks great on a paint chip at Home Depot looks like
"What the h*ll color did I just buy?!" when you get it on your walls.
Also, other colors in the room reflect off the wall color and light bulbs can cast a funky hue.

Actually, the wall color I'm pleased with. It was a color I mixed myself with acrylics and then had Home Depot mix me up a gallon.
But the ceiling color and backsplash didn't look right. I used Behr's Havana Cream.

So yesterday, I got out the original paint from the cabinets along with my acrylics and started mixing like a mad scientist.

Well, I mixed and mixed and mixed and finally came up with this color for the backsplash:

 photo repaint1_zpsb86ce21d.jpg

 photo c26238c5-b398-4f5a-a272-ed63a819f254_zps20748c91.jpg

Here's the before with Havana Cream:

 photo kitchenredo4_zps5d9250af.jpg

 photo backsplash_zps346fd496.jpg

It's hard to tell but the vaulted ceiling is also that color.

 photo 1519335d-fa98-4ecf-9e0c-e06808c58c9f_zps8fac28e6.jpg

Now, most people
(meaning my hubs) would say, "I don't notice a difference." Which is exactly what he said.

But I do. The Havana cream is more yellow.
So you know what that means... I need to repaint the vaulted ceiling now!!

I took the new backsplash color I mixed and lightened it up a few shades. I'll run to the Home Depot and have them mix me up a batch.

Guess what else?! Home Depot is having an Independence Day Behr paint sale. 5 bucks off a gallon. YaY me!!!

Yep. My hubs is going to strangle me. Hopefully not before I get that ceiling painted.

((giggle))

Happy, happy Tuesday, all!!

:> )










5 comments:

Peri said...

I like it! You are right...the Havana is more yellow! I prefer your concoction! Part of the issue was of course the way the light reflected off that backsplash area...didn't work well with the Havana at all! BUT I am not sure that you don't need to do a different mix up on the vault because of the extreme brightness there...it might be too bright and need shading a bit. You will get it right, though, because you are persistent.
Nice to have a bright kitchen during the monsoon season! Good work!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Sorry ~ it is hard to tell in the pics! Your home is beautiful no matter what way you look at it!!!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Susan said...

I wish I had paid more attention when I was actually in the kitchen. I'm sure whatever you decide on will look great. You have quite the flair for decorating. :)

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Thanks for your kind words, gals!! I truly appreciate it! ♥
My kitchen doesn't have a lot of natural light. On an overcast day, it's pretty gloomy in there. So for me, the brighter the ceiling the better. I just have to break the news to my hubs that he'll have to paint the peak. I don't do heights! Oh, he is going to be "thrilled."

Laura said...

It looks GREAT ,WOOHOO, the 1776 is still there ! My favorite ...heehee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...