Saturday, August 8, 2015

"I am truly grateful...

that I am able to continue to walk through the doors of my childhood home. Although my daddy is no longer with us, my mama is still there. Esthetically, it has changed over the years. But my fond childhood memories are the same.



Mama is the artistic one and I am so grateful to have her "creative gene." She taught me to appreciate old things, paint the walls any color I like and to swing a hammer. (Even if it's at 2 o'clock in the morning because of an idea to create something)
She also taught me when picking out a dollie, to pick the one with the face that "speaks" to you. Not all dollies do.

Daddy fixed my broken toys, taught me to ride my bicycle without training wheels, taught me to plant a garden and to feed the birds. He also taught me to drive a car, change the oil and he always made sure any date I had came to the door first to meet him.

Both taught me to keep a sense of humor about life and the importance of eating dinner together (everyday) as a family.

In that little red house not only did I take my first steps, I lovingly kissed my daddy goodbye for the last time.
A lot of love has flowed through that home. I can only hope someday, when another family lives within those walls, they will experience the same love of family I was blessed to have."
:> )
Karin Pender
Countryfolk Keepsakes
January 7, 2011


I wrote this about the house I grew up in for an online art group I belonged to years ago.

I am reposting this because much has happened since then.

My mama passed away in 2014 and that little red house sat empty. That is until yesterday.

But I'm not sad. Actually, I'm very happy. You see my niece
(my sister's daughter) and her fiancรฉ bought the house and closed on it yesterday.

So I no longer have to hope that someday another family who lives within those walls will experience the same love I did.
I know they will.

I also know my daddy and mama are smiling down from Heaven...










5 comments:

old crow said...

Such a beautiful story!! So happy your family lives on in that sweet home....more memories to make!!๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

Maureen said...

I enjoyed reading what you wrote about your childhood home and then to go on read that your niece will be moving in... well, that's a happy story!

Erin said...

Beautiful post and such a sweet house!

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Thanks, ladies. ♥

Carol Roll said...

a beautiful home and wonderful memories. so glad your niece is there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...