Saturday, November 5, 2016

Stain for me is trial and error...

But after several attempts, I ended up with a color I am so happy with! Yippee!!

 photo tabletop1_zpssxcnx1i3.jpg

But it first started with "Colonial Pine," a rather large error. It was much too light! Yikes!
I swear, I can't get this stain to look the same anywhere I use it!

 photo tabletop2_zpsfdvjjfma.jpg

I do know pine is very porous and takes stain differently. It also gets kind of a golden/amberish color even more so when using an oil base stain. At least that's what I've encountered.
Since I've never tried it, I decided to use a wood conditioner first. A wood conditioner is to help prevent stain blotches on your wood. Heck, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have used it. I like blotches and imperfections!

So I made a beeline to the basement and started digging around for darker stain colors.

 photo tabletop4_zpsbkicowag.jpg

I found "English Chestnut." I had to laugh when I read "New Color!" on the can. Seeing that the can was all rusty and has been sitting in our basement for a long, long time, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's no longer a new color.

 photo tabletop3_zpsomtwypuq.jpg

Next, I need to apply the antique flat polyurethane.
Then lightly sand. Apply poly... Lightly sand... You get the idea.
I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Here's a peek at my sweet hub's latest project.

Meet... Charlie. Charlie kept me company in the barn today.

 photo tabletop5_zpsfuwljz71.jpg

He's a 1969 Jeep CJ5. He has a Buick Dauntless V6 cylinder engine.
I have no idea what that means, but as per my sweet hubs that's freakin' fantastic.
He got bit by the Jeep bug when I got Betsy. Charlie has seen better days, but he's still extremely cool.

That's it for today.
Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight.

More pics tomorrow.

:> )

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...