Monday, November 20, 2017

Man, I have been busy!!

I've been kicking around the idea of wanting our vintage round dining tabletop back in our kitchen. But I REALLY disliked the dark stain on the old pine table. It reminded me of the dark stain on those 1970's waterbeds. Remember?! Yikes! Not my cup of tea.

So I decided it was time to tackle the refinishing project. What started out in the barn ended up coming into the ol' Countryfolk farmhouse because of the snow and cold. I finished it in the dining room.

The table opens up to 9 feet. Knowing we will never need or have the room for a 9 foot dining table, I had my sweet hubs remove the extra legs and bracket supports near the base of the legs. You have no idea how thrilled I am to have those gone! Now I can sweep without having to move the table. Yes, it's all about the simple things in life! ((hee hee))

I snapped some photos to share. I find refinishing furniture very rewarding.
As much as I cursed while doing it, I felt a great sense of accomplishment.
I ended up using Minwax stain in "Provincial" and Zar's oil based polyurethane in their "clear antique flat" finish.

 photo retable6_zpshp9y9nla.jpg

 photo retable7_zpss6dzzwvg.jpg

As usual, Stella supervised...

 photo retable1_zpsyubjn651.jpg

These are the things that had to go.

 photo retable2_zpskknxspzi.jpg

Ta-dah!!

 photo retable3_zpsgot3j8jy.jpg

 photo retable4_zpsui9z24nx.jpg

It was a lot of hard work and elbow grease. But it was definitely worth all my cursing!

That's it for now. I'm working on more critters to offer soon on my selling site.

Wishing everyone a terrific and happy Thanksgiving!!!

:> )



5 comments:

Maureen said...

Holy mackerel you are one heck of a sander, stripper(stop giggling) stainer!

marly said...

Gorgeous! I don't know how you got it down to bare. I've never been able with products and sanding to even come close. And I hated every minute of it! The chairs are even better than the table.

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Thanks, Maureen and Marly!
Marly, I used a belt sander to get the old varnish and stain off. If you have a light touch (and some patience) it works great and it comes out beautifully. Those wonderful Windsor chairs are the only reason we have this vintage set!! I found it on Craigslist and just about fainted when I found out they were Duckloe. It was a nightmare (for my sweet hubs) getting it all here. But he did and I'm forever grateful.

Lynn Barbadora said...

Came out gorgeous!

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Thank you, Lynn!! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...