Saturday, October 17, 2009

October Is Fire Prevention Month Too...

This was a big deal back when I was a young'un. Especially back in 1970. (I was in 1st grade.)


The day before the firetruck and firemen came to our school to discuss the importance of fire prevention, we participated in a contest.
We were to draw and color a picture of the dangers of fire. The followin' day, the firemen would judge our pictures and pick the winner.


I drew "Never Burn Leaves."



To the left of the man is a pile of leaves burnin', not a Stegosaurus' back. The lil' blob to the right is his terrier doggie. Those are trees in the background.


Not only did I take first place, I won the top prize of $2.50. (Yep a whoppin' two dollars and fifty cents)
Woo-hoo!! I was as proud as a peacock and sittin' pretty on my mound of cash.


But I immediately ran to the candy store after I got out of school that day. I loaded up on Pixy Stix, Mallo Cups, Wax Bottles, and Razzles.


I blew my whole stash, but it was worth it.


I want to thank my mama for savin' all my art. I am forever grateful. ♥
:> )

5 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How neat! What fun to have good memories and wonderful art! My son is an artist and I have saved all of his school art!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

what a cute drawing..by a talented artist...have a great weekend.:)

Susan said...

I am so glad that you still have this drawing. $2.50 on candy in 1970? That must have been a bag full. Did you ever buy those green "mint juleps" that would almost pull your teeth out? We used to burn leaves in the ditch and even though a fire hazard and choked you to death, it was fun. I could never out run that smoke and my Mom always said "smoke follows beauty". We also had safety films on trains, because we lived near railroads. Thanks for these reminders. Have a great weekend.

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

Love the art, Peanut.. and the Mallo cups ! I want one !.. now I am hungry for a Mallo cup !

congratulations on winning the contest ! $2.50 was a lot of money back then..

Hugs,
Linda

Carol Roll said...

Peanut how cool!!! Love seeing your winning pic and the sweet memories. Man those wax bottles filled with that delicious sugar water were so yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...