Friday, September 24, 2010

The Best Birthday Ever...

To celebrate yet another year of livin' on this planet, my sweet hubs took me to the Farmers Museum in Cooperstown, New York. Even though this place is only an hour away from us, we've never visited it.
Well let me tell ya, I do believe I died and went to 19th century heaven! It was freakin' awesome! I couldn't have asked for a more gorgeous but unusually warm autumn day. The worst part was I filled up my memory card on my digital camera way too soon! Oh well...
Kick back and enjoy.


Welcome...
Photobucket


Oooooh... A carousel??!!
Photobucket


Yep, known as the Empire State Carousel and the only "museum you can ride."

And guess what we did...
Photobucket


Hubs rode the Canada goose, the tallest critter.
Photobucket


I thought it appropriate to ask which one was the oldest carved critter.
The gal pointed to the ol' pig. She dates back to 1915, so I hopped on!
Photobucket


YEE-HAW!
Photobucket


The carved animals were amazin'!!
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Since it was my birthday, they played me a carousel birthday ditty. I was honored!
Photobucket


Next stop was the one room schoolhouse. It was my favorite!
C'mon in.
Photobucket


Photobucket


A peek out the window...
Photobucket


Ummm... For the record, I was never this well behaved in school.
Photobucket


Here's a really cool pumper fire truck.
Photobucket


Look how beautiful the back of it is!
Photobucket


Vintage milkin' stools. I'll take one of each please.
Photobucket


Brooms bein' made.
Photobucket


Farmhouse linens bein' made on a beautiful loom.
Photobucket


I loved how the clothin' lay in these drawers.
Photobucket


Gorgeous old crocks up the wazoo!
Photobucket


Here's the blacksmith. Man, it was very cool in there! Check out those gigantic bellows (above his head) to stoke the fire.
Ooooh, I betcha I could wrestle those around to get the fire in our wood stove goin'. And I'd probably burn the house down too. Yikes!
Photobucket


The ol' farmhouse was my second favorite place.
Photobucket


These gals were just as sweet as can be!
Photobucket


She was cookin' a roast in the fire. It smelled so good I was tempted to plant myself at the table and tuck a napkin under my chin. But I would have embarrassed my hubs.
Photobucket


I took so many more pictures, but I can't possibly post them all.


After, we scooted across the street to the Fenimore Art Museum. Oh my!! They had a Native American Exhibit that was phenomenal! I was totally smitten with this gorgeous beaded horse mask made by the Lakotas.
Photobucket


Finally after all was said and done, we came home.
Then I enjoyed a delicious cup of coffee in my new piece of handmade pottery. Oh, did I forget to mention we bought 2 lbs. of homemade fudge from Fly Creek Cider Mill?
Photobucket


Heck, that won't last 24 hours.


Well that's all folks!!
Have a fantastic weekend!
:> )

12 comments:

Loafer Mountain Primitives said...

Happy late B-Day!
Looks like you had a wonderful trip!
Tisha

Jessica said...

What a fun time for your birthday! I loved the pictures, I really hope I get to visit there someday too. Happy birthday!

bayrayschild said...

Happy B'day Peanut!
Beautiful pictures!
Now that's my idea of a fun B'day!
So glad you got a chance to go. Wish I could have been there to help you celebrate.

Love and Hugs,
Audrey

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

oh these pictures were amazing..you look pretty hot on that piggy...did he go to market? do a part 2..I want to see more..I loved going on the tour with you..and for the record..I wasn't well behaved either..the class clown more like..;) hows that fudge? did you save me a bite..have a great weekend..and Happy Birthday to youuuuuu!! happy birthday to youuuuuuu!!!!! happy birthday Mr. Presidenttttttttttt....happy birthday to you!!!!!! (sung in my best Marilyn Monroe voice)...did pretty good huh?...lol..;)

My Colonial Home said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! What a fun day.
My husband and I went there 3 years ago October...LOVED IT!
Karen

Susan said...

Great pictures. Hope you had a Happy Birthday. You look so cute on that pig, I could just give you a big old hug. Have a great weekend!

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

Happy Birthday Peanut !

Thank you for taking us on a tour of the museum. Loved the piggy ride... did you cry WE WEE WEEE all the way home ? Couldn't resist .. have you seen the commercial on TV ? ( It is the cutest thing on TV nowadays )

Don't tell anyone but I remember the three legged milking stools and a bucket for milk at my Grandmother's farm, the outhouse, the chamber pot and a water pump at the kitchen sink, etc.

I thought of you last evening when I was out walking at dusk and the lights were on in my neighbor's dairy barn.

Hugs,
Linda

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

♥ Thanks you guys!!! ♥
(Linda, always cherish those memories of your gram's place.) :> )

GoldieLoo Woodworks said...

..did somebody say fudge???

Peanut that looks like so much fun, my kinda day for sure.Love that carousel and omg the crocks! Lovely!~~Pam

Cindy Surber said...

What a wonderful tour of the museum.
Thank you for sharing.
Love the picture.
Happy Birthday
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I'm late to the party, but still wishing you a very Happy Birthday!

Ali x

Penny said...

Happy Belated Birthday! What a fun birthday present! I was at the Farmer's Museum a few years ago and loved it, too. The whole area is beautiful and my husband and I were ready to pack up and move! Of course we were really there to visit the Hall of Fame, but as good as that is, the Farmer's Museum was just the best!
Happy Fall!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...