Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Veggie Garden Is A Complete Freak Show...

I don't know if it's the dang heat and humidity, or GM crops or an invasion of corn obsessed garden gnomes, but you wouldn't believe what's been growing in my garden!


I've got zucchini and squash the size of watermelons and bitter curly-Q cukes. Giant sunflowers that barely grew knee cap high and lots of green, unripe tomatoes.


Then out of 12 stalks of corn, only one, puny stalk survived.
But I was happy to see two lovely ears on it. So I plucked 'em off, pulled down their husks and found this.


YIKES!!! Looks like this corn is for folks with what we call "sommer teeth." Some 'er here... Some 'er there...


Photobucket


My green tomatoes have been green for a month! Sure I can have fried green tomatoes but I want me a BLT with a red tomato.
I can't begin to tell you how frustrated this has made me!!


Photobucket


So frustrated that I took matters into my own hands...


Photobucket


THERE! Now I have a red tomato!!!
So what if I painted it. At least it's red.


Remember to enjoy nature. Even if it occasionally ticks you off.
:> )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there...your title alone made me laugh...sorry....but it was funny. I had a freak show garden last year but this year its going great...I haven't had good corn for the last 2 yrs but this year I smartened up and bought some that had some pink stuff on it...must be turbo fertilizer...one year the raccoons got to the corn and I was sooooo mad! so you actually painted the tomato or touched it up with photoshop?? Now that's a riot...You make me laugh...and for the life of me I can't find your name anywhere on your blog so I'll call ya my freak show friend!! :)
Have a great weekend!
patti :)

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

we have the same green tomatoes..potatoes, chives, arugula, and some herbs..and that is pretty much it here..love that corn..too weird..love your "red" tomatoes..have a great weekend.;)

Penny said...

I am sorry to hear about your garden, but must say that it made me laugh! The picture of your corn is too funny..... and your painted red tomato is great! It just wasn't in the cards for you this year -- maybe next year will be better!!
Have a happy weekend!

bayrayschild said...

Oh Peanut, things have just been freaky all over!

Ha!

Audrey

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

You are to funny!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...