Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Clothesline Poem...


A clothesline was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by,
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew,
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.

Photobucket

For then you'd see the "fancy sheets"
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the "company table cloths"
With intricate designs.

The line announced a baby's birth
From folks who lived inside -
As brand new infant clothes were hung,
So carefully with pride!

Photobucket

The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed,
You'd know how much they'd grown!

It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.

It also said, "Gone on vacation now"
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged,
With not an inch to spare!

Photobucket

But clotheslines now are of the past,
For dryers make work much less.
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess!

I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign.
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line.
~Unknown


:> )

3 comments:

~*~Birdy~*~ said...

I LOVE this Peanut~~ I still have a cloths line! I love to hang cloths!! Painted it Red!! Hope you are having a great day/evening!! Hugs~ Birdy <3

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Cute Poem!
I don't hang clothes out on the line as much as I should ~ neighbors probably are saying I'm lazy!!!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

I LOVE to hang laundry outside too! (Well... not our wears.) ;> )
My ol' clothesline collapsed last spring. My sweet hubs is going to make me another one. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...